Thursday, April 7, 2011

What happened those 23 days in Jail just did not feel real

As the victim the whole intake process was so scary. Why was no one hearing the words I was trying to say? I have to say that the workers at the RRJ (Rappahonnock Regional Jail) were appropriate and fair to me the time being there. The medical was hard to get into with being sick and the awakening of you are no longer inmportant hits home.

4 days after the intake and yellow-brick road isolation I was assigned a unit. After asking several inmates (does not even feel real to say this still) I found out the number for the attorney's office I used in 2007. Stuart Sullivan is so amazing! His office has such compassion! I called and he met me 2 days later. I had known Stuart Sullivan since I was 18 working in the E-911 Communications Office for Spotsylvania County.

This is going to be a line by line journal entry summary to go through the 23 days.

25th Oct 2010 called Mr. Sullivan will meet me in 2 days to speak about bond; received message from legal aid to call; was advised that a bond hearing would be Wed.; tried calling father-in-law, brother-in-law Steve answered and denied call
26th Oct 2010 My Gram called and messaged I can call her now!; Met with attorney showed him my bruises all over my body and gave him the summary of what had happened Det. Swift & Deputy Kate Higgins; talked to Gram she said my sister tried calling Shirley (in-law) and she was not helpful. My dad and sister had signed up for a visit, she was flying up from Texas!
27th Oct 2010 Dad came for visit through a video conference. I showed on screen my bruises to my father.; Friend of family checked on the kids and said they had said ""Mom didn't mean to do it"
28 Oct 2010 Still no answer from in-laws; My sister's flight is on Monday
29 Oct 2010 Public Defender met with me and said it was a clear case of self-defense; She told me my bond would be postponed until Det Swift met with the commonwealth's office; Had my sister change my password to my USAA bank account.
31 Oct 2010 Missed Harvestfest with my babies; lawyer advised use public defender to save money for the bond portion since I have no income other than the allotment I was having from John (my husband); Attempted to call in-laws to check on my children, call refused.
1 Nov 2010 Sister called social worker and he advised for me to call when I got out.; Had a visit from Pam Smith from my Sunday school :) she had a message for me "God has a purpose for you".
3 Nov 2010 Still no bond hearing due to Det. Swift not meeting with the commonwealth, maybe next Wed.; was told my step-son Christopher was staying in my home going through my things.
4 Nov 2010 Met with public defender. She stated she would apply for a bond, but, she expected it to be denied. She would not be there, but, her assistant would be and the appeal would take another 2 weeks to be heard in circuit court.; $4300.00 was transfered out of my bank account?! How?! My sister called the bank USAA and they said the password was changed via internet and lockout information needed was my social security number and a child's date of birth. The Rep from USAA told her they can see where the money was transfered from a account in my name only to John Morris, my husband who's account was in his name only! How could they not immediately fix it? Stop the transfer, reverse the funds?! The rep told my sister when I could to file a police report, they would reverse it.(Side note: A report was filed with the sheriff's office and Det. Swift the same that handled the Oct 21st incident informed me he was assigned to it and that because he was having to testify for John and knowing me that there was a conflict of interest and he would refer it, over a month later Det. Short called and asked a few questions then mailed a letter stating he could not find evidence and closed the case! What?! My bank said the had the information?! Is it another connection the Morris family has?)
5 Nov 2010 Shannon is coming for a visit Monday @ 10 am!
6 Nov 2010 My sister called my father-in-law Chuck. He mentioned my character and that she was a person with questionable character being a divorced woman. What?! His son is not?! He told my sister that the kids were finally settled and in counselling and he would be taking the kids to a Harvest Fest at school. Shannon met at the school and saw the children and  rode a hayride with them. My oldest joked about not messing up his hair while my youngest daughter was putting straw on the boys.
8 Nov 2010 Visit video conference with my sister. I had not seen her since February of 2010 due to my husband abuse having her to have to move out after seeing the ligature mark on my neck scabbing from a rape and choking the night before by John.
9 Nov 2010 Nineteen days! 19 days! Away from my children! My babies!
10 Nov 2010 Bond Hearing Judge Ventura told the commonwealth he wanted some sort of contact that this case is normally a one time hightened violence and does not normally occur again that he wanted bail set at $25,000.00 and my father to go into my residence and get my things. At that the commonwealth said that only my oldest was upset and the other two seemed fine. Bud the social worker got up and said to the judge "yes, I talked to Chuck this morning" What?! Was he friends?! Where was the professionalism? I have been a mom for a decade at home for the past 8 years dedicated to their care!
13 Nov 2010 Chuck refused to let my father in my home. Some things were put in trash bags lining my driveway. They claimed my purse was not in my house, no wallet, no ID?!; I had my sister 3-way call my father-in-law while I was in the RRJ and respectfully in a monotone voice asked for my purse and Chuck just kept saying that I have put them through this and Shirley was on the verge of a nervous breakdown that he has done all he is going to do for me. What? Done what? Allow your son to abuse the kids and I, I thought to myself. After the call my sister had a text telling her I needed to calm down that my husband told someone I called cussing at my father-in-law and threatening him. My sister called them and said no, no way! I was on the phone with her and the calls are recorded at the jail to prove it!; My Gram agreed to lend a check for bond and I pay her when I get out tomorrow.; My dad had a call from in-law, they found my driver's license and not my purse they would put it in my mailbox. Wow! No purse?! I drove from the gym with no ID, purse, ATM card?! wow?! And the deputy saw it the night of Oct 21, 2010 and would not let me bring it...hmmm how nice.
14 Nov 2010 Home, well not to my house but my dad....I get to see my dad. I have not been allowed to see him since 2006 when I built the Morris Road address and John told him that if he stepped foot on it he would kill him. Dad picked me up! It felt like forever...21 days no windows to look outside to see the rain, sun, leaves change. Thank God the sun was so bright and warm this day!

Sigh 23 days I thought was a long time without my children. Little did I know that it would turn into 134 days. One Hundred and Thirty-Four Days?!

No comments:

Post a Comment